Brexit: consequences for your employees in or from the UK

Are you an employer? And do you employ British nationals in an EU company or is your non-British staff working in the UK? Or will you exchange staff from or to the UK in the (foreseeable) future? Moneywood will explain what the consequences are in regard to Brexit.

Check the impact of Brexit and your staff in/from the UK

Staff from the UK


**Please note: This article was written before Januari 1, 2021. For more recent information on the Brexit agreement that applies as of 2021, click here.**

Do you employ British nationals in the Netherlands or another EU-country? Then your British employees will need to register in the municipality that they reside as of January 1st, 2021. In addition, British nationals will need to apply for a residence permit as of January 1st, 2021. When they start their employment after January 1st, 2021, they will also need a work permit. Learn how employers can apply for a work permit on


Dutch employees in the UK

Do you have Dutch staff that is working in the UK? As an employer, you will need to apply for a residency status with the British government before June 31st 2021. When the employee from the Netherlands (or any EU country) was residing in the UK before Brexit, that employee falls under the withdrawal agreement: the application is a formality and the employee can continue working in the UK. When the employee is hired after Brexit, the employee will not fall under the withdrawal agreement. At the moment this article is written (January 2021) it is not yet known under what conditions a residence/work permit will be granted. The way new rules apply to your situation or the situation of your employees, can be checked here.



When you have Dutch employees that are living in the UK, they need a residency permit. They will need to request this themselves before June 30, 2021 at the British government.

Do your British employees that live in the Netherlands for work? When they were living in an EU-country before 2021, they fall under the withdrawal agreement. Your employee can continue residing in the Netherlands. However, they will need to apply for a residency document with the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Authorities (IND).

When you want to hire British employees in the Netherlands after January 1st, 2021, the (future) employee will have to arrange that with the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service, the IND. The employee must apply for a residency that will be granted based on the situation, the purpose of the residency and the applicable conditions. On the Brexit page of the IND you can read what regulations you will have to deal with and what British employees will need to do when they want to live in the Netherlands either temporarily or permanently. With this infographic from the IND you can help them with their application.


Infographic Brexit 2021

Suggested reading Brexit


The Brexit counter of the government is a good place to learn more about Brexit. By submitting the Brexit checker you can figure out what consequences Brexit has on your company. In documents of the European Commission you can read more about the Brexit agreement between the EU and the UK as of January 1st, 2021. The Chamber of Commerce published an overview of the consequences of Brexit for the VAT.


Any questions? Don't hessitate to contact us, we are happy to help!